Greetings all;

1. I've noted one foible in the 2.8-pre's.  About a week ago I was
getting an exceeds z positive limit error during the loading phase, and
it refused to run unless I "run it anyway", but the path never exceeded
the z upper limit when it was run.  I could seen the errant move in the
backplot, and when I clicked on that line in the plot it was one of the
first two moves in the program, line 20.  It was as if the #<_z_tmp>
variable was not yet set from a command to do so a few lines above.

Since it didn't make any difference which one was first if the machine
was sitting at home positions at start, I interchanged the moves, and
the loading scan error went away.  The difference in the backplot trace
was about 7".

This seems like a buglet to me.

Now in the "what if" department.

2. Since I am about to get a bigger lathe, and I have no experience with
with  mapping screw compensations, I need to ask if its possible to use
a screw comp file to map in both directions so that a reasonable amount
of bed wear, which will probably cause a "U" shaped X error, and that
will need Z position tracking to properly apply the correct X error
compensation?

Is this possible?  Or can it be made possible?

3. A problem I've seen some forum discussions about, where it was
apparent that the lathes head was mounted a few arc-minutes out of
alignment, causing tapered boreing and turning over relatively small Z
distances, like 3 or 4".  Perhaps I don't fully understand it, but on
the face of it, being able to rotate the co-ordinate map in use on any
axis could correct that, but AIUI, we can only rotate about Z presently.
Or if this could also be done with a two dimensional screw comp file?

IOW, will the -R grow into a -RX, -RY, -RZ capable of rotating the
co-ordinate plane on more than one axis at some point in the future? I'd
say that this probably should be handled independently from possible bed
wear corrections.  However, it could be corrected with the solution to 2
above IIUIC.

Am I daydreaming?  Being able to effect the errors by writing a file,
sure seems a heck of a lot cheaper than taking it apart to do all the
way scraping and re-testing after re-assembly, wash, rinse, repeat would
be.

Since all of my working machine installs are originally based on the
binary-hybrid.iso, I thought it would be good if I dl'd the
wheezy-2.7.iso, but the pipeline is badly choked, the best speed is
about 100kb/sec but its averaging around 55-65.

Is this normal?  Or am I interferring with another, more important
operation?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)