I did some more debugging of Crapahalic last night. So some brief
overview of how it works so far. It uses halcmd show to generate output
that is then parsed through to determine the loaded hal components, the
pins for each component and the signals that are all loaded in the
current configuration. I like this general methodology as it keeps from
having to look up component definitions in the man pages to determine
pins. It also solves the issues that have been brought up about
components generating pins at run time.

The issue that I am having right now is that the parsing logic is
barfing on the inconsistency of the "Loaded HAL Components:" section of
the halcmd show output. Some lines have a PID value and others don't.
Currently it is splitting each line into 5 variables but sometimes there
are only 4 items in the split due to the missing PID value. This causes
it to barf at the split command.

Would it make more sense to modify halcmd show, actually the subfunction
print_comp_info to add a placeholder for missing PID values such as a -1
or a "-" or some other value? Would modifying this output break other
applications? Would it make sense to make additional functions for
halcmd that would be specific for the Crapahalic? Or should I just
update the parsing code to handle each condition separately?

What is your opinion of this general method of working with a running
HAL configuration? The only drawback that I see at the moment is that it
would make editing a broken configuration with the tool impossible as it
would not load properly and therefore you could not view or edit it with
the tool.

Finally, at this point I am liking the basic functionality of
Crapahalic, as limited as it is. If I decide to continue with it as the
basis of the new application would it be inappropriate to rename the
application. I am not fond of the name for an implemented application.

Thanks,

Jim