For anyone interested in testing, my latest branch based on Peter's
suggestion, and a bunch of other spindle tracking fixes is here:

https://github.com/robEllenberg/linuxcnc-mirror/tree/feature/spindle-sync-overhaul-2.7

I've tweaked a lot of spindle tracking code, so I'd be careful when running
it on hardware (cut air or wax first!).

Best,
Rob