On Sat, 20 Oct 2018, Gene Heskett wrote:

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 21:50:36 -0400
From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
To: emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Emc-developers] My g0704 is unusable after the last week or so's
    updates

Greetings all;

I went out in my half blind condition, found a bar of cold roll to make a
different x-home switch activator for the g0704. Fired up LCNC which
came up normal, but was not moveable for homing or by jogging without an
instant following error. Putting a halmeter on the joint error, it was
reported to be in the #-16 to #-18 range. Danged close IOW.

My following error setting have been min=0.0005 and ferror 0.001 for many
months.  Without any problems.

Tonight I find I can't jog at above .05 ipm without resetting them to
min= at least .0025", and ferror at least .005", or nominally 5 times
the working errors of around a month ago when I was making all those tap
hats. Once the error settings exceed the backlash, it will move at close
to 100 ipm in either direction of any axis.

So it seems related to BACKLASH, which worst cases are
GO704fast.ini:BACKLASH                  = 0.00190 (x)
GO704fast.ini:BACKLASH                  = 0.000950(y)
GO704fast.ini:BACKLASH                  = 0.00320 (z)

Has anything been changed in that area of the code recently?

Thanks everybody for clues to check next.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

The PID component changed a few months ago, so if your stepgen uses the PID component and you updated the LinuxCNC version recently, you may need to make some minor changes in the hal file (disconnecting the pid.N.command-deriv pins)

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)