On Sat, 2 Feb 2019, Gene Heskett wrote:

Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2019 21:46:24 -0500
From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
To: emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-developers] 7i76 vs spinout signal

On Saturday 02 February 2019 19:51:18 Peter C. Wallace wrote:

On Sat, 2 Feb 2019, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2019 19:01:59 -0500
> From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> To: emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Emc-developers] 7i76 vs spinout signal
>
> On Saturday 02 February 2019 16:00:04 Andy Pugh wrote:
> > On 2 Feb 2019, at 18:13, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > But whats the range of spindle speed requests that are valid in
> > that case.
>
> Approx -1.8 x 10^308 to  +1.8 x 10^308
>
> Because it????s a double precision floating point.
>
> Are you reading the 7i76 manual or just the LinuxCNC docs?

The 7i76 manual lacks anything like such an explanation for the
spindle functions. Or has it been expanded and corrected?, I've had
the doc file I am looking at for about 3 months now.

Thanks Andy.

I just read it again, top to bottom and back up. None of this stuff is in it, nor is there any reference to reading the manpage for sserial.

The sserial man page has some info about the 7i76 pins

So it does, but haveing no reference to it in the doc, I hadn't read it until now. It also states theres a high likelyhood of its being permanently out of date. And it makes zero mention that ENA and DIR appear to be activated ONLY when when spinout has valid non-zero data. That might work for a vfd but not for a pwm-servo such as Jon sells. The way its worded, ENA and DIR appear to be straight thru from input to output isolated controls, which would make them 100% useful. But because they aren't activated until spinout has valid non-zero data, the ENA is of zero use to me. That amp must be enabled, then pulsed to charge the gates properly before the data from the pid.out arrives at the pwmgen.1.value pin to start its generation of pulses. I do have a method worked out that should work, using the otherwise mounted for its looks, relay on the SainSmart BoB. Driven by p2 of the 5i25 using a special bitfile Peter sent me which puts a 2nd pwmgen on the P2 connector since the first one goes to /dev/null in the 7i76d. I may be able to get that wired up tomorrow, but I am making all this hookup hardware as I go. From a 150 foot spool of wire, and a bag of GS12-5 connectors. Darned near too small for these getting a little shaky old hands.

Thats not quite true, The 7I76 DIR output is a completely independent output bit and ENA must be present for the analog output to work, that is analog out is dependent on ENA but not the other way around.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)