On Saturday 27 April 2019 19:12:49 andy pugh wrote:

> Which bugs on the tracker mean that 2.8 can't be released?
>
> I think that the unwanted motion caused by ON_ABORT_COMMAND needs to
> be fixed before release.
> https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues/579
>
> Any others? We have 21 pull requests and 105 bugs..
>
> What else needs to be done?
>
> Update ISO downloads to Stretch. (easy for preempt-rt, already done,
> harder or RTAI)

I just installed the testing stretch on an old Dell Dimension 520.  And I
have to admit its going to run this machine nicely when I get arouns to
writing another install dvd, that one is stuck in the drive and I had to
pull the plugs to hide it from the reboot.

The first thing I noted is that someone has been listening to my decade +
string of invective over the partitioner. In guided gui mode, it never
once argued with my partitioning choices, letting me do exactly as I
wanted.  And that is indeed a breath of fresh air.

It did not retain the network config over the end of install reboot, but
that was a 3 minute nano session of /etc/network/interfaces.d/setup, and
a service networking restart. Adding the rest of my stuff to /etc/hosts,
and it all Just Works.

So basicly it just works.  The bad news is the horrible latency, minimum
of 53 microseconds for the servo thread. My D525MW running the 6040 is
standing at 8 for hours at a time. I wish I could buy 3 more of that ARK
box.

But, I just found a showstopper, it won't let me run synaptic from an ssh
login.  gksudo lets me do it on the pi, and on the armbian version of
stretch on the rock64.  But now there is no gksudo in the default repos
according to apt.

So how can this be fixed?

Other than those two things, its beautiful.  I am impressed, xfce4 is
working better than ever.

Oh, and I need the deb line to put
in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc.list switch LCNC to master, same as
I'm running on everything else here.  Or is that possible yet?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)