On Montag, 4. Mai 2020, 13:43:53 CEST andy pugh wrote:
> I do think that MK perhaps got too caught-up in fixing the archaic and
> weird LinuxCNC software architecture rather than considering the
> question:
> "How does this make the software make better parts"

Yes, Andy - that's exactly what I thought, when I tried out machinekit.

When I read in the forum, that machinekit does so many things better than
linuxcnc, I started to scratch for machinekit.
There's a lot to read about what is bad in linuxcnc and you can read a lot of
propaganda, what machinekit wants to make different ...
But you can read next to nothing about what machinekit already has done.

>From all the proposals, I agreed in may be one or tho points, but when I
installed machinekit, I got disappointed a lot.

Frontend is axis and while axis from linuxcnc ships with an intelligent
sample, where you can learn a lot about coding GCode for linuxcnc, machinekit
provides a dumb cam-output.
Axis works the same as in linuxcnc, so as a user I can't see any benefit.

Same is true for the youtube-lessons, which covered only trivial points, that
every programmer should know, who dedicates itself to cnc ...
For me - just wasting my time :(

> And that is the danger, LinuxCNC is a machine controller. There is
> limited value to the user-base in making large changes to the
> underlying software implementation that they never see.

Sure - I believe, if architecture gets cleaned up, the goal should be users
benefit in the sense of working out existing issues. Some issues seem to be
impossible to solve with current architecture.
So that's the staff gauge.

I feel so sad about opencn - they seem to have reached real improvements. But
they did a fork, which is not usable with the provided instructions.
That improvement could have enriched linuxcnc - and now it looks like it will
get lost.

cheers Reinhard