So I have made significant progress on the sigma5abs encoder front. I have
designed a manchester transiever in vhdl and integrated it into hostmot2
firmware as well as linuxcnc. I am close to having a fully functioning
driver. However there are a few mysteries remaining. This is the first
absolute encoder that I have had my hands on so I'm hoping others will know
more.

The encoders are 24 bit with 21 bits per turn so they track 8 turns worth
of counts. Part of the protocol has a 3 bit value that is a sort of turn
counter. It seems to only change if a complete turn is made. For example if
you rotate the encoder until the turn count changes, then reverse, the turn
value will not change until at least an entire rotation occurs. So
depending on the direction and partial reversing, each turn counter value
can occur at 3 different transition points.

This chart shows a mapping between the 24 bit count and possible "turn"
values.

2097152       7 0 1
4194304          0 1 2
6291456              1 2 3
8388608                  2 3 4
10485760                   3 4 5
12582912                      4 5 6
14680064                          5 6 7
16777216 (0)                        6 7 0

What is the technical term for this style of counter? I can see how it
could be used to determine the rollover point of the counter. What possible
ways should this be used?

Thanks,
       Curt