On Thursday 14 May 2020 13:22:18 Chris Morley wrote:

> There is no 'actual spindle RPM' in a NML message.
> You must use HAL for that and in fact it's possible that that is not
> available if there is no spindle feedback in hardware.

There is, and their isn't if you don't have an encoder. My vfd claims to
have an output that represents speed, but its an analog value I've not
found on the term strip.  And, the 7i76D has only logic inputs except
for the first 4 which are about 36 volts full scale.  So I fudge in hal
to drive the tach. But I also believe that this spindle motor is a hard
armature model, meaning its synchronous as the revs don't sag even when
cutting heavily. So one could cobble up something with more hardware but
this worked well enough to tell the thing is supposed to be running as
its very quiet.

I'd be interested if seeing what someone else has done that solved the
spindle revs display problem a different way when there isn't an
encoder.

> Chris

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)