On Friday 15 May 2020 14:39:12 Nicklas Karlsson wrote:

> > On Thursday 14 May 2020 14:57:59 Chris Morley wrote:
> > > Well I dare say that a VFD counts as hardware.
> > > I use serial data from my VFD for spindle RPM display.
> > >
> > > My point was though that to get actual RPM back to a gui you
> > > pretty much use HAL and can't use NML (currently anyways).
> > >
> > > Chris
> >
> > Unfortunately, the vfd's I have bought are totally w/o even the
> > footprint for a serial port on the pcb's.  And yes, I've looked.
>
> The motor have encoder or some other kind of rotational sensor?

Not that I have been able to find, so I have a fudged up drive to the
tach, calibrated so wide open at 400 hertz is 24k. I think the motor is
a hard armature version meaning that up till it slips and stops, its
running synchronous. I finally found the low speed current controls,
difficult in the poor chinglish manual and set them up for nameplate FLA
at low speed and it now has phenomenal torque at 500 rpms and less.  I'm
more than happy with that.

And just now I got a refund from the German motor mount maker that I was
going use as a nema23 mount on the back of my BS-1 indexer, seems they
can't ship to the US because of Covid19.  And thats the most compact
mount I could find. Might have to make my own.  I did manage to get that
BS-1 up onto the mills table today, but once I had done that, and
verified my mill had power enough to move with that 80kg on its table, I
found I can't rotate it but about 5 degrees with the cranks despite
loosening the lock levers. No idea whats wrong. But I've finally got it
up off the floor where I can work with it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis