On Sunday 29 November 2020 17:45:33 andy pugh wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 at 21:50, J.M. Garcia <jmgard...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Second, what is the benefit of this approach from the point of view
> > of pure translation work? I can't see any.
>
> I don't know enough about it, but I can see that a purpose-made
> translation platform might make it easier to keep track of new changes
> requiring translation, and to compare source language and translation
> to determine the status of the translation of a particular document.
>
> How did you work out what documents had been translated, and which
> needed translation or updating when you did your (extensive)
> translation work?

I should be at about the servo tuning step by this time next week,
something I have only done with steppers, and likely at less than
optimum settings.

One of the huge diffs between steppers and servo's is obviously the
stepper generally moves as commanded provided you feed it steps and
directions within its ability to follow. It just takes orders and does
them.

But the servo has to develop enough error to start it moving, which it
seems to me, means the middle of the error band is quite often a
direction switch that uses 15-25% of the available power just to
overcome the static friction and actually move the motor if it is a
brushed DC motor.

Is there a tut on adjusting such a servo?

Would I be smart to swap out the PID in that channel for the AT-PID, and
figure out how to do an auto-cal, potentially even before homing it.

The last time I read the docs on the at version I came away well confused
by what was to me, docs that didn't actually state the theory without an
intimate knowledge of calculus. Looking thru them again, its been
markedly improved, but still seems to be missing the hal schematic. Is
there a single best example of how to do it that actually discusses all
the terms we can adjust in our implementation of a PID?

Basically I have a motor controller that is driven by a pwm in mode 2,
giving separate up and down pwms.  And I have an optical encoder on the
motor armature whose SCALE has not yet been determined but for this use
will be determined by measuring the count over 100 turns of the indexer
and multiplying that by .01. but once I have it moving, I've hal code
that can determine that to a couple decimal places to the right of the
period.  The encoders A or B output is in the 6 kilohertz range when the
motor is running on 24 volts, which has already forced me to remove the
input noise filter capacitors on the bottom of the bob I'm using.

There will be 2 sources of backlash between the encoder, and the target
indexer being controlled, both of which are worm/bull gear clearances,
first one in the motors output thru a worm gear, and the second is the
worm to bull gear slop in the BS-1 clone, some of which can be adjusted
to quite low tolerances if a bit of drag can be tolerated. My best SWAG
would be that the ultimate accuracy will be under .05 degrees until wear
sets in in the BS-1. More than 1 count from the encoder IOW. So I expect
to have to set a deadband too, but we'll see.

Links to better reading much appreciated along with gfx I might be able
to see with the siggen and halscope.  That would be a definite plus.

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis