On Sunday 17 January 2021 10:17:57 andy pugh wrote:

> The current linuxcnc-served Raspberry Pi realtime kernel does not work
> with the latest hardware revision of the raspberry Pi.
>
> https://forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc/41092-last-update-of-
>linuxcnc-raspberry-pi4-usb-does-not-work?start=0#194602
> https://forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc/40466-linuxcnc-2-8-0-
>pi4-img-no-usb-on-raspberry-pi-4-8gb-2gb?start=0#187558
> https://forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc/41136-rt-4-19-71-rt24
>-v7l-brakes-usb-on-raspberry-pi-4-os-version-11-01-2021#195290
>
> Some patches were submitted, and applied, and seem to work for the
> submitter, but not for anyone else.
>
> I have spent over a week trying to build a working kernel package, and
> whilst some of them have worked for me, with the hardware that I own,
> there has been no reported success for anyone else.
>
> I propose that we remove the kernel and linuxcnc packages and edit the
> docs to suggest that it can be made to work, but is not supported.

Andy, I have a working 4.19 kernel. Runs on a pi3b or pi4b. But its an
unusual install, done from a 30 meg tarball you can get from my site in
the sig. There is a readme at the same link, that describes how to
install it and it must be done exactly as I say in the readme. I was
never able to figure out how to make it work as a deb, but once
installed, it does work, with reasonable latency. Now on a pi4b with 2
gigs of dram, I am building git as commits are made, on the rpi4, but
I've 2 SSD's and moved swap to one of them. I've been hammering on the
64Gig u-sd card now, doing those builds nearly every day for 2 years
now. The SSD's are on starlink usb3 adaptors and are running at least 5x
faster than the u-sd card. And I just found the link to that stuff was
bad, so give me a few to fix it...

Fixed.

<http://www.geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene/buildbot-repo/>

Get the README, the tarball of the srcs "4.19.71-rt24-v7l+.tar.bz2" which
is 2.4G. or the actual tarball I made and did the install
from "kernel-rt.tgz" which is only 24 megs. The README tells you how.

I also took the time to update all the stuff there to this mornings
builds from github. Including the scripts that built it and installed
it. Runs fine.

Be my guest. Maybe you can figure out how to make a .deb out of it. But
it installs by overwriting stuff in the /boot and /lib trees, and takes
a bunch of editing in a card reader to adapt it to YOUR rpi. See the
README.

Protect it from apt updates of course. I have and that rpi4b is uptodate
with buster a/o 3 or 4 days back.

I just did, but because the kernel is pinned, only the rpi-eeprom got
updated. The other 6 packages it listed are kernel dependant and held.
It is otherwise up to date as of right now.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis