Hans,
This is what I mean. People here have never bothered to get familiar with
the greatest achievement in the dev area in 20 years! Debian packaging!

Debian Bookworm (aka testing) has been installable from an ISO on the
Debian web site ever since Bullseye was released.
Google run their whole organisation on bookworm.....  Don't believe the rot
about it being unstable.
The current kernel is 6.0 from memory.

I would start with the Bookworm  alpha release which includes the non-free
firmware (which will be included as standard  when it goes live)
https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
I usually use the net installer otherwise you might have to comment out
the CD lines in sources.list
In recent days, Linuxcnc does not seem to like the Wayland based graphical
environments in Bookworm (eg the default gnome), Instead I recommend
installing our old favourite XFCE which is Xorg based. If you forget this,
you can do it later by using tasksel and select XFCE later from the log on
screen.
Do not add a root password so the default user can use sudo.

Once Debian is installed, all you need to do is type:
sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-uspace
sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-uspace-dev (for the dev tools like halcompile)
sudo apt-get install mesaflesh (for mesa users)

Thats it! PREEMPT_RT gets installed and everything will be in the cnc menus
etc due to the magic of Debian.
You might like to disable autologon and the screensaver. This will vary
between gnome and xfce so a quick google will tell you how to do it.

It will install happily on a VM on Windows such as VMware player or virtual
box.

Rod Webster
*1300 896 832*
+61 435 765 611