Alan, one more thing.
LInuxcnc is built and installed in function2 of the uscripts file
https://github.com/rodw-au/rpi-img-builder-lcnc/blob/linuxcnc/files/userscripts/uscripts
This could receive some love but I don't know bash at all.
Note line 50 deletes the /tmp/linuxcnc-dev folder to save space. Commenting
that out lets you copy the debs somewhere but as the /tmp folder is
overwritten in general use, they get deleted anyway. So save them from the
SD card before deployment
Perhaps the debs should be copied to another accessible folder before
everything is deleted.

Rod Webster
*1300 896 832*
+61 435 765 611