Rich,
I can only respond for South Africa at this time.  The company I work for
manufacturers computer disk drives (removable media-type).  I recently
had the same question concerning potential requirements in South Africa.
What I found from the South African Bureau of Standards (SABS) was
that for our products (computer peripherals), safety is considered
"compulsory".  That is, the manufacturer is obligated to make sure that
the equipment is safe.  There is no separate labeling or submittal
requirements.  The SABS felt that our compliance with EN 60950 more
than satisfied this requirement.

For more detailed information I suggest you contact Mr. Ben Kruger at the
South African Bureau of Standards.  His number is 27-12-4286677 ext.
6677.  He was very helpful in answering my questions.

Craig Hensley
Iomega Corp.
Roy, Utah
(801) 778-4135

>>> Rich Nute <ri...@sdd.hp.com> 05/20/97 09:30am >>>

Hello from San Diego:

Can you tell me if safety certification is required (or not)
for computer peripheral equipment in the following countries:

    Turkey
    Israel
    South Africa

I believe the answer is no (for each country).  But, I'd like
some confirmation.

If you have any details, can you tell me what are the national
safety standards, if any, in each of these three countries?
Are they equivalent to IEC 950 or any other popular standard?

Can you also tell me the names and addresses of safety
certification houses in these three countries?

Thanks for your help, and best regards,
Rich

 Richard Nute                             Quality Department
 Hewlett-Packard Company           Product Regulations Group
 San Diego Division (SDD)          Tel   :      619 655 3329
 16399 West Bernardo Drive         FAX   :      619 655 4979
 San Diego, California 92127       e-mail:  ri...@sdd.hp.com