Jim Nadolny wrote

> I was
> told
> that the responsible person must be a resident of the EU.  A company in
> the
> States could not self certify and place the CE mark on equipment with
> "only" the head of quality signature, assuming the head of quality lives
> in
> Anytown USA.  I also heard that less than reputable companies in the
> States
> find "some European guy" who will sign anything and can vanish if the
> need
> arises.

Article 10 of the EMC Directive states:
1. ...shall be certified by an EC declaration of conformity issued by
the manufacturer or his authorised representative established within the
Community.
Where neither the manufacturer nor his authorised representative is
established within the Community, the above obligation to keep the EC
declaration of conformity available shall be the responsibility of the
person who places the apparatus on the Community market.

The same requirements are then applied to the Technical Construction
File.

Unless there is something else I have missed, the manufacturer, his
authorised representative and the person who keeps the DoC could all be
resident outside the EU.
Phil Ford                       phil_f...@uk.xyratex.com
tel +44 (0)1705 443255            fax +44 (0)1705 499315
Xyratex, Langstone Road, Havant, PO9 1SA, United Kingdom