Phil Ford wrote:

> Jim Nadolny wrote
>
> > I was told that the responsible person must be a resident of the EU.
> > A company in the States could not self certify and place the CE mark on
> > equipment with "only" the head of quality signature, assuming the head
> > of quality lives in Anytown USA.  I also heard that less than reputable
> > companies in the States find "some European guy" who will sign anything
> > and can vanish if the need arises.
>
> Article 10 of the EMC Directive states:
> 1. ...shall be certified by an EC declaration of conformity issued by
> the manufacturer or his authorised representative established within the
> Community.
> Where neither the manufacturer nor his authorised representative is
> established within the Community, the above obligation to keep the EC
> declaration of conformity available shall be the responsibility of the
> person who places the apparatus on the Community market.
>
> The same requirements are then applied to the Technical Construction
> File.
>
> Unless there is something else I have missed, the manufacturer, his
> authorised representative and the person who keeps the DoC could all be
> resident outside the EU.
> --
> Regards,
> Phil Ford                       phil_f...@uk.xyratex.com
> tel +44 (0)1705 443255            fax +44 (0)1705 499315
> Xyratex, Langstone Road, Havant, PO9 1SA, United Kingdom

Sorry Phil,

but I have learned in a seminar for Product Safety at the Leuven University in
Belgium by some expert Professors for European Rights that the responsible
company
or person must be a resident of one of the EU member states. This is stated by
the
term "established within the Community".
If there is no company involved for the import of the good into the EU, it is
the
person who brings the good to the EU - be it on his/her own benefit.
The company/person/authorized representative, or whoever imports the good into
the
EU must be residing within the EU.
--
Kind regards/mit freundlichen Gruessen,