It is my understanding that the European Commission has stated that a
manufacturer has the freedom to determine the acceptability of components
used in CE marked products.  (Or words to that effect.)  I would conclude
that this would remove the need for using European agency approved
components in safety critical locations.  Any reputable agency approval, or
appropriate evaluation by the manufacturer, would be acceptable.

Does anyone know of where I can obtain this statement in writing?  I'd like
to have something to back this up.  Also, I welcome comments on the
conclusions I have drawn based on this "alleged" EC statement.

Regards,

Jeff Jenkins
Senior Regulatory Compliance Engineer
Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.