I will paraphrase the situation as stated in the "Low Voltage Directive",
73/23/EEC, as amended by 93/68/EEC (CE Marking Directive) ;

"CE marking attests to the conformity (of the electrical equipment) to the
provisions of this Directive."

"The Member States shall take all appropriate measures to ensure that,
in particular, electrical equipment which complies with the safety
provisions
of harmonized standards shall be regarded by their competent administrative
authorities as complying with the provisions of Article 2 (the basic
requirement
that equipment be "safe"), for the purposes of placing on the market and
free movement".

If you are CE marking on the basis of your own "manufacturers' declaration
of
conformity",  ALL you have have to do is to have prepared a report showing
conformity to a harmonized standard.  Standards do not require that you use
agency
approved parts - agencies do !    Refer to IEC 950 para 1.5.2 for more
details on
evaluation and testing of components.

John Crabb, Product Safety Engineer, NCR Financial Solutions Group Ltd,
Dundee, Scotland.