Neil,
        Here is a copy of the statutory exemptions straight out of part
2. There are other temporary exempting while compliance is being
obtained. Basically, you can't sell it or market without compliance, but
you can mark it and send it to customers for trial but you must replace
it or make it compliant through testing before any money can transfer
hands - and no the customer can't write a letter saying they accept the
product without approvals. It doesn't matter what your marketing guy
says he did at the last company!
        I had though there was some odd rule about importing one or two
but in my quick glance I couldn't find it, I didn't look too hard
though, and I would agree with Ron you can never just build one -
there's always more.
        Gary McInturff

§2.807  Statutory exceptions. - As provided by Section 302(c) of the
Communications Act of 1934, as amended, §2.803 shall not be applicable
to:
        (a)  Carriers transporting radio frequency devices without
trading in them.
        (b)  Radio frequency devices manufactured solely for export.
        (c)  The manufacture, assembly, or installation of radio
frequency devices for its own use by a public utility engaged in
providing electric service: provided, however, that no such device shall
be operated if it causes harmful interference to radio communications.
(d)     Radio frequency devices for use by the Government of the United
States or any agency thereof:  Provided, however, that this exception
shall not be applicable to any device after it has been disposed of by
such Government or agency.