        From:   Rich Nute [SMTP:ri...@sdd.hp.com]
        Sent:   Thursday, October 08, 1998 8:54 PM
        To:     dav...@pmc.philips.com
        Cc:     emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
        Subject:        Re: Crepage/Clearance On Telecom Modem design

        Hello Diaco:

        My reading of Clause 6 of IEC 950/EN 60950 is:

            between TNV circuit and primary circuit:

                double or reinforced insulation, including applicable
                creepage distance and clearance, or

                basic insulation and a grounded conductive barrier,
                including applicable creepage distance and clearance
                from the primary circuit to the conductive barrier.

            between TNV circuit and hazardous voltage secondary circuit:

                double or reinforced insulation, including applicable
                creepage distance and clearance, or

                basic insulation and a grounded conductive barrier,
                including applicable creepage distance and clearance
                from the hazardous voltage circuit to the conductive
                barrier.

            between TNV circuit and SELV circuit:

                no creepage distance or clearance requirement
                (but, it must pass the hi-pot test)

            between TNV circuit and ground:

                no creepage distance or clearance requirement
                (but, it must pass the hi-pot test)

        Creepage distances are measured along the shortest path between
        the two conductors across the surface of the insulator.  There
        is no correspondence to traces on opposite sides of printed
        wiring boards (because such insulation is interposed solid
        insulation, and MAY be subject to insulation thickness
        requirements).

        Best regards,
        Rich