From:   Mel Pedersen[SMTP:mpeder...@midcom.anza.com]
Sent:   Monday, October 12, 1998 8:42 AM
To:     emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org; 'Diaco Davari'; 'Barry Esmore'
Subject:        RE: Crepage/Clearance On Telecom Modem design

This is my understanding of the situation Barry.

If one considers the worst case (DC) voltages that could possibly exist on
TNV-3 lines and also SELV circuits, and considers the likelihood that these are
at opposite polarity, one would obtain a worst case 180VDC = -120VDC (TNV-3) -
60VDC (SELV).  Everyone knows, however, that 120VDC is not likely on a
subscriber loop that is TNV-3, it is more likely 48VDC nominal.  Also, everyone
knows that, on the SELV side, chips are not powered at 60VDC.  Therefor, 150VDC
is generally accepted as the BASIC INSULATION working voltage at the TNV-3/SELV
interface.  I have spoken with a few people in the industry about this, as well
as some European test labs/Notified Bodies for the LVD and TTE directives.  I
have also seen this value (150VDC) pop up a few times for the working voltage
at this barrier.

Any input from a European test lab?

Hope this helps Barry.

Mel Pedersen                            Midcom, Inc.
Homologations Engineer             Phone:  (605) 882-8535
mpeder...@midcom-inc.com     Fax:  (605) 882-8633