------------------------
  From: Bailin Ma <b...@namg.us.anritsu.com>
  Subject: RE: Grounding of screen room
  Date: Tue, 6 Oct 98 14:35:43 PDT
  To: emc-p...@ieee.org, TREG <t...@world.std.com>
  Cc: Mekonen Buzuayene <mbuzuay...@namg.us.anritsu.com>

> Hi Lauren,
>
> It is my understanding that properly grounding the screen room is important
> in Conducted emission test and have little effect on Radiated emission
> test. The way you described is a very good and simple method for evaluating
> the shielding effectiveness (SE) of  the screen room. The SE, however, is
> not critical in Conducted emission test.
>
> A simple way, similar to what you described, to evaluate the background
> noise of Conducted emission test is turning off the power of DUT when you
> get ready to run the test  to see if you can 'hear' anything on the
> spectrum analyzer.
>
> Please correct me.

Pardon, Barry, but I think I will. You should measure the Ambient conducted
emission level by loading the LISN's with a resistive load sized to draw the
same amount of power as your typical test specimen. This loads the external
power source (some sites may be using their own generator or electronic power
converter), allows the shielded enclosure powerline filter to work into a load
impedance more normal than an open circuit, and validates the performance of
the powerline filter and the LISN's (cheap or damaged filter inductors will
degrade or even create noise).

Regards,

Ed

Ed Price