Robin,
You do not scale the thickness as such when increasing the voltage rating.
Insulation Thickness is directly related to the degree of Mechanical
protection that needs to be achieved. Insulation thickness is only
"partially" (brain stoppage for lack of a better word!) related to
voltage rating. UL generally requires a higher degree of mechanical
protection for insulation (and wire insulation) as the voltage rating
increases. In addition, voltage tests (such as Dielectric strength,
Insulation Resistance, and such) apply and require higher values as the
desired voltage rating is increased.
Typically, many Insulation materials will not be required to increase
their minimum thickness requirements above 600 Volts values, as long as
all test requirements are met.
I recommend you discuss your nomex options and thickness limitations with
your NRTL and/or your Nomex supplier. You can reach me directly if you wish,
as well.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Bob Tims