It is my understanding that the primary use of HALT is to sort out
infant mortality of electronic devices and to identify potential
solder/pc deficiencies.

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Jim Eichner [SMTP:jeich...@statpower.com]
        Sent:   Tuesday, January 20, 1998 12:09 PM
        To:     emc-p...@ieee.org
        Subject:        RE: HALT testing

        Sounds like an interesting approach, but it sounds like it will
only
        uncover those failure modes that are related to the product's
        environment.  What about line voltage fluctuations, surges,
etc., or for
        power supplies things like load cycling, load transients, etc.
Does
        anyone know if there are established HALT procedures that
include these
        sorts of things?  Thanks.

        Regards,

        Jim Eichner
        Statpower Technologies Corporation
        jeich...@statpower.com
        http://www.statpower.com
        The opinions expressed are those of my invisible friend, who
really
        exists.  Honest.

There are