Robert,

We have been using HALT and HASS testing now for a couple of  years.  HALT
is Highly Accelerated Life Testing and is generally a combination of
heat/cold cycling along with random vibration while equipment is in full
operation.  It is intended to find the limits of the product in that the
various test parameters are increased until failures occur.  Sometimes the
failures are corrected with design changes or deficient sources of material
are found.  Once the maximums are found they are scaled back to an
acceptable level, test profiles designed and HASS testing begins.  HASS is
Highly Accelerated Stress Screening and is intended for use by manufacturing
people on every product produced.  This test is a very effective way of
eliminating  the long term "burn-in" which is traditional with most
companies.

There have been a few attempts are providing certifications to these tests
but in my opinion these are not useful.   Who currently "certifies" burn-in?
  The program is usually administrated by your own reliability people and is
tailored to fit the company and the product..  Besides whenever there is a
revision to the product, the HALT/HASS testing can be modified to suit
without too much trouble when in-house people are responsible.  As far as I
know, there are no "requirements" by any agency for this type of testing.

I hope this is useful information.

Doug Powell, Compliance Engineer
Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.
do...@ftc2.aei.com