GTE Sylvania electronic Systems Group - Western Division out of Mtn View, CA
did a Phase I Report entitled:

Power Line Alarm Transmission Systems
                   Phase I Report
Power Line System Characterization

   by Dr. Donald L Hardison, K M Duvall
   Contract Number 35623

    This document describes work performed by GTE Sylvania Incorporated
under contract tot he Aerospace Corporation by the Law Enforcement
Assistance Administration of the Department of Justice.  The work described
is a power wiring system characterization sample study carried out on two
single-unit single family residences, one multi-unit single family
residence, and one multi-story office building.  Because of the restricted
statistical nature of this data base, no universally applicable conclusions
may be drawn concerning residential wiring.

This report is full of charts, graphs, variations in grounding, test setups,
etc.  Very well documented effort.

In 1975 in an effort to design an inexpensive computer control/monitor
system utilizing the AC mains, I characterized AC mains in several buildings
in the Campbell, CA area which matched this report's conclusions fairly
closely.  [Unfortunately, the report was not available 'til after the work
was done!]

Good luck.

If you can't find it, stop by and I'll loan it to you to make a copy.  <g>

                               - Robert -