> My lab just had an annual inspection visit by our friendly fire hazard
> inspector. Seems that after 4 successive years of inspections, I suddenly
> failed this year.

Hi Ed,

Don't shoot the bearer.  Go find the guy who passed you the last 3 years -
shoot him.
If it's the same guy - well it's nice to see he's got the devotion to
re-evaluate his own work (and the ability to admit errors - no small feat in
an inspector).

> Now I'm all in favor of sprinklers; there's several in the ceiling of the
> parent room that contains my enclosure. But that doesn't protect the
> contents of the shielded enclosure. What if a fire started inside the
> enclosure and then had time to grow? The parent room sprinklers might not
be
> able to stop the blaze then! Never mind that there's almost no fuel within
> the enclosure; just fire-retardant rated anechoic foam and a 10' long
table
> made out of wood 4x4's.

Ed, don't you think the inspector stopped by the water cooler to check on
your prospects?
Do you mean to tell me you haven't heard the rumors?
I heard they were moving you out to baha to work on your open site ideas -
and your lab is going to be turned into a storage area for all unread
quality documents (lot of tinder there).

> So I don't suppose this is really about common sense. Has anyone recently
> addressed the issue of fire protection within a shielded enclosure? Or

A fire enclosure for people, hmm.   Is this your secret "shake and bake"
recipe?

Seriously though, unless you could get the room certified as a fire
enclosure I don't think you'll get any flexibility from inspector.
Sorry I couldn't be more humorous but its been a long day.

Matt