Dear Listmembers,

     I'm having a product tested to UL 1950/CSA 950 for the US and Canadian
     market.  This product is central office equipment powered by -48 vdc.
     It sources -48 vdc to outside plant leads.  The -48 is referenced to
     ground, as needed for proper operation of signalling.

     The test lab claims I need separation between TNV-3 and other parts of the
     equipment, according to clause 6.4.1 dated March 1, 1998.

     Clause 6.4.1 says separation from TNV-3 must be provided to:

     a.. unearthed conductive parts...etc., not applicable to our equipment.

     b. parts that can be touched ...etc., not applicable

     c. circuitry which is provided for connection of other equipment and
     telecommunication circuitry (other than earth) intentionally isolated
     from telecommunication conductors....  My equipment is not
     intentionally isolated, it is ground referenced.

     The test lab decides to perform fault testing.  This involves
     injecting a ring signal from the outside through the tip/ring leads
     and measuring the current through a 500 Ohm resistor.  It fails to no
     surprise, because there is an intemtional path to ground.  Their claim
     is, even though my equipment passes the overvoltage/power cross tests,
     it could retransmit the external fault.

     Am I missing something here? Or do I need to find another lab?

     Regards,

     Eric Petitpierre
     Pulsecom
     Herndon, VA