Hello Kamran,

I have been faced with this problem many times in the (nearly 35) years
that I have been involved with such measurements. In my experience, this
is the major and problematic correlation factor (in the product safety
domain). It is the one that stands out above all others, when faced with
correlation difficulties (especially when the tests are conducted on
different continents as they were in my situation :-)

Very slight changes in the immediate-area ambient temperatures and the
electrical service where you are making the measurements can drastically
affect the temperature readings as can the location of the thermocouples
on the transformer under test (as you already noted).

Consider the following possiblilites (not in any particular order) ;

A) Be certain that there is no extraneous air-flow over the trafo (from a
room-fan, people constantly walking by in the adjacent aisles, or room
air-conditioning drafts. ( I believe ambient air-flow to be a major
factor when you are faced with correlation difficulties)

B) Be certain your input voltage is a clean sine-wave. Distortions in the
input voltage waveshape will affect your data. (At one time we tried to
use a low-distortion/low harmonics constant-voltage transformer to keep
the line voltage constant during temperature tests - even that small
amount of input distortion was sufficient to affect our results).

C) If the trafo is in a switching-mode power supply, the currents
being switched will likely be affecting the indicated temperatures.

D) Why do you discount rise-of resistance ?  I believe this technique
integrates the temperature differences across a transformer and yields a
more repeatable result (in my humble experience).

E) One problem I've found in transformer construction is that air can
become entrapped, by the impregnating materia, between the outer-wrap
layers. This effects the temperatures measured on the outer surfaces
(again, a thermocouple location problem).

F) Another problem is the heating effect on the trafo of adjacent hot
components (cold ones or sinks too, I suppose) when transformers are
evaluated in an end-product. Be certain that you and your vendors (and
your test agency) apply thermocouples in the same location/s.  Consider
submitting a transformer, with thermocouples attached by you, to your
vendor/s and test agency/ies.  This will, at the least, rule out
thermocouple location (and its attachment) as a variable.

G) Be certain that you are using high-grade (low error) thermocouples and
calibrated equipment.

Good Luck!

Regards, Art Michael

Int'l Product Safety News