Since this is a "UK question", "The Provision and Use of Work Equipment
Regulations 1992"  (SI 1992 No. 29323) would seem to apply. It states
under "Conformity with Community requirements" 10 - (1)  Every employer
shall ensure that any item of work equipment provided for use in the
premises
or undertaking of the employer complies with any enactment (whether in an
Act or instrument) which implements in Great Britain any of the relevant
Community directives listed in Schedule 1 which is applicable to that item
of work equipment.

In Schedule 1 are the LVD, machinery and EMC directives, and a lot more.

(And dare I ask, does a piece of equipment which complies with an old
revision of a standard which has been removed from the OJ, continue to
 comply with the LVD ??)

You could always argue that your equipment meets the essential requirements,
spelt out in the Work Equipment Regulations, since the LVD only applies tp
equipment "placed on the market".
Regards,
John Crabb, Development Excellence (Product Safety) ,
NCR  Financial Solutions Group Ltd.,  Kingsway West, Dundee, Scotland. DD2
3XX
E-Mail :john.cr...@scotland.ncr.com
Tel: +44 (0)1382-592289  (direct ). Fax +44 (0)1382-622243.   VoicePlus
6-341-2289.