Greetings.

This is my first post here.  I do both EMC testing and product safety, but
primarily product safety testing and filings through Underwriter's
Laboratories acting as both reviewer and submitter [Technical Administrator]
in a two-person safety department.

Reason I present here before you is a bit of a problem I am having with UL
concerning an obscure requirement.  I am wondering if UL is singling me out
over an issue that has to do with the Australian/New Zealand specification
for "DC Component from AC Equipment".  Specifically this is AS/NZS 3260:1993
appendix 3 (pp 366-67) or IEC 60950 appendix 3.

I have an AC powered ITE product that uses two switch mode power supplies
output connected in current sharing redundancy with AC input full wave
rectification i.e. 'balanced input' design that I have certificates for but
in which do not specify compliance with the appendix 3 criteria.  Lab tests
show these to comply with the 5ma limit for DC neutral leakage but readings
are extremely fluctuating and difficult to pin down, but compared to other
power supplies that do have certification, reads within limits.

The problem is I supply UL with schematics that prove the supply has AC
input full wave rectification (balanced input according to the spec and
therefore exempt from testing) yet they are demanding test data.  Up to that
point, I was using a Voltech PM3000A power analyzer for all consumption
related measurements including DC component (harmonic zero).  When I
submitted test measurement data, UL rejected it claiming (correctly) that
the meter used had insufficient specs to perform the measurement according
to the appendix 3 spec for test equipment.  (Voltech had no idea what the
PM3000A's series rejection ratio was until I inquired and had them perform
cal lab tests to determine the figure -which was dismal at best)
Since then, I have acquired a Fluke 8842A DMM (with 85dB NMRR) and attempted
measurements but these readings are so wildly fluctuating that I would have
to tally and average the data manually (or through GPIB) -which would
destroy the accuracy of the measurements taken by a 5.5 digit meter!!
Incidentally, the difference in accuracy (or believable numbers) between the
Fluke and Voltech is nearly the same.  I favor the Voltech with its 'data
dump' feature straight to printed copy -very handy.

Ok, so now I've got more questions than UL Northbrook or Melville can
answer...I ask them how to accurately take measurements of a fluctuating
phenomenon and they answer me with something to the effect that their QAS
department is negotiating with Australia's counterpart in efforts to gain
better understanding.  Meanwhile, I've got a product that has been waiting
since December '98 to gain full CB for the AS/NZS market.

In contrast, I have taken measurements using both Voltech and Fluke meters
of all our products and found one product that seems to fail the measurement
but has certified compliance to appendix 3 through a New Zealand NRTL.  When
I asked the failing product's power supply vendor what test instrument they
used to submit data they reported 'Voltech PM3000A' so I know they are not
being honest.  When I talk with the lab in New Zealand they claim 'balanced
input' design and therefore no test needed, which UL has accepted.

Is anybody else having a ride with UL like this?
-I'm dipped in hogwash here...
how 'dat for openers?
Kyle Ehler  kyle.eh...@lsil.com <mailto:kyle.eh...@lsil.com>
Assistant Design Engineer