Multiply watts by 3.415 to obtain BTU/hour. To compute the input power you
need to multiply the rms voltage, rms current and power factor. Or you can
cheat and use a wattmeter.

        ----------
        From:  s_doug...@ecrm.com [SMTP:s_doug...@ecrm.com]
        Sent:  Tuesday, April 27, 1999 10:47 AM
        To:  emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
        Subject:  Heat Calculation

        Hello,

        Does anyone know how to compute heat dissipation for a product given
mains
        power input (volts, amps, watts)?

        Our spec sheets always list heat dissipation (e.g. 1,000 BTU/hour)
for
        each product and I wonder where the number comes from and why it
never
        changes from one product to the next.

        Thanks for any comments received.

        Scott