Hi Ray:

>   I know that at one time, UL had accepted a HAR type cordset. Now,  I have
>   Does anyone know why UL stepped back away from accepting EU cords?

My guess is:

UL accepts HAR cordage (not cordsets) for products going
to countries where the HAR certification is accepted.

UL does not accept HAR cordage in the USA because the HAR
cordage does not meet the UL/ANSI standards for cordage.

Likewise UL/ANSI cordage does not meet HAR requirements.

It would be nice if the IEC could develop a single cordage
standard that could be accepted worldwide.  I don't really
believe that cordage needs to be country- or region-unique
as it is today.

Likewise, safety is not a function of national borders
because all men are created equal.  Its disappointing to
see Argentina set up its own safety certification program
and not accept the worldwide CB system.

Regards,
Rich

 Richard Nute                      Product Safety Engineer
 Hewlett-Packard Company           Product Regulations Group
 AiO Division                      Tel   :   +1 619 655 3329
                        Effective 6/12/99:   +1 858 655 3329
 16399 West Bernardo Drive         FAX   :   +1 619 655 4979
                        Effective 6/12/99:   +1 858 655 4979
 San Diego, California 92127       e-mail:  ri...@sdd.hp.com