Hi Ed:

>   First of all the "floating secondary ground" (if not connected
>   directly to earth) should be treated as part of the secondary circuit
>   which in many cases will require reinforced insulation to the primary
>   circuit according to the working voltage measured.

There are two issues here:

(1)  Is the secondary circuit, pole-to-pole, a hazardous
     voltage?

(2)  Is one pole of the secondary circuit accessible?

With respect to (1):  In this case, see my paper:

    http://www.ewh.ieee.org/soc/emcs/pstc/tech-spk.htm

This paper describes how to achieve protection against
electric shock due to the voltage of the secondary
circuit.

With respect to (2):  In this case, protection against
electric shock *from the mains* must be provided by
reinforced insulation (or equivalent) between the primary
and secondary.

>   Next, in most applications, the secondary circuitry can be cap coupled
>   to earth ground and does not require basic insulation spacings for a
>   primary circuit.

Agreed -- PROVIDED at least basic insulation is between
the mains and the secondary circuit.  If not, then the
capacitor from the secondary to ground must be a Y cap.

Best regards,
Rich