It was agreed a few years ago, by the European community members, that mains
voltages should be harmonised to 230V.  At that time the UK was 240V nominal
and the rest of Europe 220V.  Of course it isn't that easy to change a
country's mains voltage overnight so a compromise was made.  The UK would be
230V +10% -6% and the rest of Europe 230V +6% -10%.

Slowly but surely the voltages in the UK are coming down to 230V as the
power companies modify their supply equipment.  Two years ago 240-245V was
common, I measured the voltage just now and it is 232.4V.

For a product to be sold in Europe, if you assume a nominal voltage of 230V
and test at +/- 10% you can't go wrong.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Chris Colgan