Paul,

There will always be some small current flowing during a hipot test.
If there isn't any current flowing, it's probably because you're circuit
is open somewhere (probably the test jig, or the hipot tester's leads).
To prevent this problem from going undetected some manufacturers
began to include an adjustable "minimum current detection" circuit.
An alarm sounds if the set minimum current is not detected
while the equipment is in test mode.  I think QuadTech and Kikusui
both sell equipment with "minimum current detection".

A nice feature, but I sometimes wonder how reliable it is.

If this is manufacturing's only reason for purchasing a new hipot tester,
you might suggest that they just buy a calibrated resistor.  Before performing
the hipot test, check the hipot tester using the resistor.  That way you can
be check both the voltage across the test points, and the correct function
of the current monitor in the hipot tester.

Additionally, if you check the hipot equipment before each equipment
test you can justify longer periods between hipot calibrations.
This can save you quite a bit of pocket change.  A good resistor has high
reliability and can calibrated much more cheaply.
This isn't too practical for high volume production line testing, but can
work pretty well for some machinery manufacturers.  Even if you are
doing high volume, you can still reasonably use this approach
by testing at the beginning and at the end of a lot (kind of a drag if
you have a problem with the last unit though).

Matt