From: Rich Nute [mailto:ri...@sdd.hp.com]
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2000 11:08 PM
To: paul_j_sm...@notes.teradyne.com
Cc: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Re: Verifying functionality of the equipment for Production
Safety Testing

Hi Paul:

>   My manufacturing  contacts have asked for a lead on a supplier of test
>   equipment that I can use to be able to test the Hi pot lead for it not
>   be open. If you run the Hi Pot test holding the lead in the air it will
>   pass . We need a way to test that the lead is not open .

Connect the lead to ground and initiate the hi-pot
test.

A long time ago, I was embarrased by this situation.
A UL or CSA inspector asked to verify that the hi-
pot tester was indeed applying voltage to the EUT.

I was about to go get a high-voltage voltmeter when
the inspector simply connected the HV lead to ground
and punched the start button.

To my dismay, the hi-pot tester indicated pass!!!
The lead was open!

Well... we pulled our warehouse stock and re-tested
all units.

Rich