                From:   David Spencer [mailto:dspen...@oresis.com]
                Sent:   Friday, March 24, 2000 2:35 PM
                To:     'Knighten, Jim L';
'chris.col...@tagmclarenaudio.com'
                Cc:     EMC-PSTC (E-mail)
                Subject:        RE: Receivers and spectrum analyzers

                Hey Jim,
                It is my sincere wish to get "god" results from my test
equipment.  Alas,
                regardless of equipment cost, I usually wind up somewhat
lower.  The 8593EM
                is now on the top of my wish list. ;-)

                As to the price issue, it is very conceivable that a
relatively small
                investment in a single feature piece of add-on equipment can
yield the
                equivalent performance of a unit costing magnitudes more in
that single
                feature area.  Sophisticated, feature rich systems, pile on
the sprinkles to
                justify the high price tag.  If we want or need enough of
those features, we
                buy the system.

                There aren't too many instances where you cannot find a
relatively low tech,
                less expensive, way to accomplish a given test goal if you
are willing to
                put in the time to integrate the system yourself and
understand the science
                involved.  On the other hand, who has the time.

                Hope you have a sense of humor!

                Dave Spencer
                Compliance Engineer
                Oresis Communications

                P.S.  I wish the tooth fairy didn't exist...up here he's
giving it away
                faster than any of us can make it.