From: Compliance [mailto:complia...@eoscorp.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2000 12:32 PM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: RE: Certification School

All -

There is a Product Safety School...It goes by the name of Underwriters
Laboratories in the United States.  It is a two to three year apprenticeship
following a basic BS in Engineering.

The school offers training seminars about 1-2 times a month during the first
two years and private sessions with standards experts.  The advanced student
is offered an opportunity to work on special projects or standards
development to enhance their knowledge.

On one hand, I am joking, but there may be some truth in the matter.

I know that in the past, UL's would "train the industry" by hiring fresh
college graduates (or war veterans).  They would then train them in the
concepts of safety and then allow/force them to leave (by offering
sub-standard wages for the level of experience).  No, I did not make this
up.  It came from a book that I had read 4-5 years ago.  It was written by
one of the former UL presidents (Baron Whitaker?).

Brent Taira