From: Art Michael [mailto:amich...@connix.com]
Sent: 20 January 2000 21:01
To: Andrews, Kurt
Cc: Colgan, Chris; emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: RE: Open Letter re ITE Flammability (Source is NAFM)

To Kurt: I believe it is possible to utilized an internal "enclosure"  to
protect against fire (and other hazards) and then, the outer case (the
subject of the NAFM letter) does not need to meet the V-1 requirement.  I
know, for a fact, that this technique was utilized in other product lines
(phones & video games, for instance) so that the outer case did not serve
as the "enclosure" and could be made of less expensive polymers.

And, to Chris: It has long been recognized on this side of the Atlantic,
that TVs and other home electronics devices benefit from the use of
flame-resistant "enclosures" (you can interpret that as: flame-resistant
enclosures reduce the fire-risks associated with such products).  That is
why UL 6500 varies from 60065 and why flame-resistance of one of the
cornerstones of the myriad of ANSI/UL standards. It's good to learn that
60065 is adding finally adding flammability requirements for enclosures.

Regards, Art Michael

Int'l Product Safety News
A.E. Michael, Editor
166 Congdon St. East
P.O. Box 1561
Middletown CT 06457 U.S.A.

Phone  :  (860) 344-1651
Fax    :  (860) 346-9066
Email  :  i...@connix.com
Website:  http://www.safetylink.com
ISSN   :  1040-7529

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Andrews, Kurt wrote:

> According to 4.4.4 of both UL 1950 and EN 60950 monitors should be at
least
> V-1. 4.4.4 says that fire enclosures of less than 18 kg (about 40 lb.)
have