Hi folks

I have not been following all this thread, but I have the following
comments:

I have substantial reservations about Jim's first comment:- to put the
external protective earth on as the first item on the stud. This is likely
to cause a particular problem if the supply cable has to be replaced due to
damage etc., as you will have to remove/replace all the connected internal
earthing wires to do it!

I believe that you should always use at least TWO studs/terminals for this
type of thing, and dedicate one solely to the earth of the external supply
connection. Then the whole issue becomes much simpler in both theory and
practice - both for the manufacturer and the installation/service engineer.

The above may not be mandated by most standards but I believe it is both
common sense and good practice.

As regards UL's comment on the need to put the circle on the earth symbol
on external earth terminal - I think they were VERY wrong unless that was
the terminal for connection of the PRIMARY MEANS of earthing (which it
rarely is) !

The whole idea of the circle is to designate the terminal for that purpose
ALONE; using it anywhere else is going to re-introduce the confusion that
the circle was designed to eliminate, as stated in (for example) the first
two sentences of IEC/EN 60950 Clause 1.7.7.1:
"The wiring terminal intended for connection of the protective earthing
conductor associated with the supply wiring shall be indicated by the
symbol .... (IEC 417 No. 5019). This symbol shall not be used for other
earthing terminals"

Regards

John Allen.
Racal Defence Electronics Ltd.