On the amps:

For emissions there are the following electrical criteria:

 - Noise figure  expect about 4 dB for a broadband amp 30 MHz - 2 GHz.
   The noise figure is often larger at the lower frequencies if the
amplifier goes up to many GHz.

 - Input SWR. This is important. Most broadband amps (especially if they go
up to many GHz)
   have a bad input match at low frequencies. As the log-per antennas have a
bad mismatch too,
   you will have multiple reflections on the cable between the antenna and
the pre-amp.
   This reflections will influence your measurement and cannot be corrected
for by the antenna
   factor. They may be as large as a few dB below 100 MHz. For that reason,
you may be forced
   to add a 3 dB attenuatore at the antenna. This increases your noise
figure by 3 dB.

 - Gain. Of course, you need only as much gain as is needed to overcome the
cable loss (cable to
   the spectrum analyzer) and the noise figure of the spectrum analyzer.
More gain will not help
   you.

David Pommerenke