Look in the archives of this discussion forum and you will see instances of
occassions where no testing has been conducted.  Test houses generally do
not accept a Declaration of Conformity for any product unless further proof
is available in the form of acceptable test results (from a 3rd party
laboratory or approved in-house laboratory).  This is not because they want
more testing and more money but because it is well known that the CE
marking process is abused by a large number of companies to different
degrees.  It is not uncommon for products to have a CE label attached but
no documentation at all and these products are frequently found to be
unsafe or to not comply with the EMC Directive.  Some companies do the
minimum possible i.e. make a quick assessment (not necessarily by a
knowledgable person) and write a Declaration of conformity, other companies
will do more in house testing, for example, hi-pot, leakage current and
earth bond.  Some companies employ safety engineers to perform testing and
others use external test houses.  For EMC it is more likely that nothing
has been done as a large number of companies know that they will only get
caught if their equipment is causing serious interference.

There is a sliding scale of testing that companies do, at one end nothing
is done, costs are low and risks are high, at the other end full third
party testing is conducted therefore costs are high but risks are low.  It
is up to buyers to decide where they want their end product to lie on that
scale and to buy from companies that are at a similar position or better.
They should request documentation to ensure that the equipment is suitably
assessed to that level of risk.

Some years ago before most of us knew what EMC meant, I came across a
company that did not employ a safety engineer and did not use a test lab at
all since it was cheaper to employ a lawyer with the knowledge to get them
off any charges if their equipment was found to be unsafe!

My advice, decide on your level of risk and choose your suppliers
carefully.

Glenn Moffat
TUV International UK
Tel: +44 121 634 8000
Fax: +44 121 634 8080

Hi all,

Do all manufactures fulfill the EU-directives with testing in their own
facilities or by an independent test lab? I guess the answer must be No.

>From my time working in a test lab, my experience is that big companies
like
Alcatel, Siemens and so on, do the required testing according to relevant
requirements. I also got the feeling that small companies (I do not
generalize) where a bit "laid-back" and often put the CE-mark into the
products without any tests or with a very limited test process.

Should a system builder trust a Declaration of Conformity from a big
manufacturer, without asking for test reports in order to verify compliance
with relevant directives ? Would you sleep well at night,  if you only
trusted the CE-mark 100% and build a large broadband telecom system only
based on the CE-mark without any further documentation?

What is your opinion?

Best regards
Amund Westin, Oslo/Norway