Sorry about the HTML but this is an abstract from the book The Practical
Guide to the Low Voltage Directive  ISBN 0 7506 3745 5

Metrics come in all sizes - what does your management want to hear?

How much we spend - how could have been save with better project management
and design control - how much compliance cost?

How much R&D spend - How much compliance costs? (I believe that DELL commit
30% of R&D to compliance)

I wonder why?  I wonder if their competitors would advertise the fact that
"We commit MUCH less than that - so buy our products."

Does sell to me!!!  But I have been called cynical by more that two people.

LOOK at history for the TRUE cost of getting it wrong.

These - hopefully explain the TRUE cost of 'keeping it right' and not just
consider the cost of adding a few extra scraps of metal or fuses.

  Titanic ( faulty material)

  Challenger (Faulty gasket)

  Meteosat (the one with the dead French PSU that should have driven the
down-link Tx)

  Herald of Free Enterprise (faulty 'safety' switch and operator error -
drunk and asleep)

  GoodYear Tyres  (jury still out)

The problem with compliance is that the TANGIBLE COST is always evident - it
is only when there is non-compliance that the intangible benefits become
self evident.

Please not the following abstract and the graphs.

PLEASE remember that the cost indicated here are from 1991 data. However -
if we are looking at OVERALL costs think also of a few of the high profile
examples.

 COPYRIGHT       Butterworth-Heinemann  and    Gregg Kervill
The Limitations of the guidance notes
In addition to a detailed step by step guide to electrical safety, this book
contains an Easy Guide. This provides simple, easy to follow steps that will
result in a compliant product, at the same time reducing design effort, and
simplifying safety compliance testing.

The strength of these guidance notes is that they reduce development time
and design changes, because by following the guidance it will remove many
opportunities for designing  a non-compliant product.

The penalty for using only the Easy Guide may be that the unit cost is
higher than a similar product designed following the Detailed Guidance
notes. The Easy Guide is therefore particularly suited to the design of
one-off equipment and low volume products

Conversely, the Detailed Guidance Notes will be required for high volume,
low margin products. They describe all aspects of the standard in depth
allowing the designer to take advantage of low cost design options to
minimise the unit cost of the final product.

The penalty for using this approach is that greater knowledge of the
standard and its interpretation is required and the cost of safety
compliance verification can be significantly higher.

Reducing costs and time to market
It is surprising how few people appreciate that most of the whole life costs
of a product are fixed  early on during the initial design phase. The
adjacent diagrams show the relative costs that can be set in stone even
before the design reaches the manufacturing department. It is important for
us all  to be aware of  the large amounts of money involved within our
company and where  it is committed.

With this knowledge, it is a simple process to identify the departments and
individuals where any company investment in training or resources  have the
most beneficial response. Remember that these ratios will depend upon the
type of product, the volumes and manufacturing processes. But let us also
consider the cost of a simple mistake - it has often been said that “failing
to plan in planning to fail” and so in this book we shall acknowledge that
we all are fallible - that we will make mistakes and accept that when they
occur they form a significant source of additional costs and delay.

This is an important consideration because if we know that there will be
errors - then we know that to look for them is a good and positive thing to
do.

The cost of not getting it right has not been stated more clearly than
during the October 1991 EuroPACE Quality Forum. Mr. Hiroshi Hamada, the
President of Ricoh, gave the cost of fixing a single defect as:

·      $35 during the design phase

·      $177 before procurement

·      $368 before production

·      $17,000 before shipment

·      $690,000 on customer site

>From this it is simple example it is obvious that the earlier an error can
be identified the more money a company will save.

Figure ???

It also follows that - since time and money are related - that if defects
are corrected early then  it will take less time for a product to reach
production - hence the “time to market” will be reduced.

Spend VERSUS Committed Cost

Personally, I believe that the most powerful way to identify where resources
(time, money and material) are wasted is to consider the Spend during each
phase in a project and to compare these to the Whole-Life costs that are
committed during that phase. Figure???

The following figure shows the classic - text book - spend curve. From my
20+ years in R&D  I ‘knew’ where the least money was spent and where most
savings could be have been made on projects that I had been involved on -
but I could not prove it from the graph. Several years ago I hit upon the
answer.

We can see that the spend is least  during the early (Concept to
Pre-Production) stages and that the spend  only starts to increase  once we
hit production. At the end of the product life cycle we can derive a figure
for the Total Cumulative Spend.

Now comes the interesting bit - we ask our manufacturing engineers how much
they were able to change the design of the product to reduce the cost its
cost. In the traditional type of industries that I have one would expect a
claim of between 5 and 10 %.

Now we ask the Pre-production engineers the same questions. Finally we ask
the Design engineers the same question.

We now look at the money invested into the product design at each of those
phases and ask - could the total cost have been reduced by spending more
during the concept phase.

Some examples of how money could have been saved.

1-    “I’ll design my own power supply to save time”. The time to verify the
design of a simple linear power supply can vary upwards from 10 days - but
plan on taking 20 days. The worst design I saw could not be modified to make
it compliant: even after more than 50 man days of engineering effort. Using
fully approved power supplies saves design time, and saves compliance
testing time; but  they will  need to  be tested in application .

2-    “It was all right in North America therefore it must be OK over here”.
Generally if the different frequency or voltage do not cause a
non-compliance the use of UL “Deviations” against the IEC standard will.
(  “Deviations” are where the North American standard deviates from the
requirements of the IEC standard - in many instances these produce a
relaxation to the original requirement and the resultant produce may fail to
comply with the relevant Harmonised European Standard. The converse is also
true. The product designed to our Harmonised standards may fail to meet some
of the design requirements to North America or Canada.)

3-    Creating a Critical Items List will prevent non-compliant slots and
apertures being  designed into what may need to become a Fire Enclosure.

4-    Developing the self discipline to collect Safety Certificates and
reports for Critical Components during the concept and design phase will
save  many days of avoidable effort (and avoid   additional Costs) during
Compliance Verification

5-    Conducting early safety compliance tests and reviews will minimise
redesign, scrap and delays.

6-    Holding a product safety review to discuss the design concepts will
identify and help avoid options that could involve high  risks  or costs.

7-    Holding Product Safety reviews between project phases will quickly
identify potential difficulties and non-compliances and allow quick (cheap)
corrective action to be taken.

8-    Stopping a project from progressing between phases until safety
activities are completed will always reduce risks and may also reduce costs.

9-    Balancing compliance proving cost against production costs may not be
easy but it is now an essential task for designers.

Based upon the author's experience, many companies could reduce their design
costs by at least 10%  and reduce the time to market  for most products by
four weeks. To achieve these improvements, define clearly the product safety
design requirements, ensure that  the design team understand the requirement
and include product safety review  as part of the normal design process.

Eurolink Ltd. -One Link-199 Countries
P.O. Box 310
Reedville, Virginia 22539
Phone: (804) 453-3141