Hi,

One metric that is missing is the cost of over-design.  As we all know
EMC design is not quite a precise science :) but it is relatively easy
to make anything comply first time if cost, and size are ignored!

Depending upon the cost sensitivity of the product you might not want to
pass cleanly the first time, at least not by too much.  I would look for
evidence of a good EMC design plan which has a base line approach but
also has one or more planned means for increasing or decreasing EMC
controls.  In my opinion this is a very important part of our jobs as
design engineers.  This could include place holders on a PCB for a
series choke that are etch links that can be cut if the parts are
needed, capacitor mounting pads or mounting even points on a chassis for
a vent panel with smaller apertures.  The key is to design for these
possibilities, not try to fit them in later.  What makes sense for a
system the size of a room won't make sense for an ultra-low cost
commodity item and visa versa.

Such EMC plans permit the engineer to be creative without the risk of
being seen as a poor performer.  It can also pay off to the final
product cost.  I can think of one (at least!) creative solution that
failed big time in my career but the cost benefits would have been very
significant if it had worked - all went well simply because there was a
painless though more expensive backup plan.

Beware what metrics you set!  They might have hidden costs.

        Colin..