From: Pommerenke, David [mailto:davi...@ece.umr.edu]
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 4:16 PM
To: 'POWELL, DOUG'; EMC-PSTC (E-mail)
Subject: RE: EMC test table construction plans

Doug,

For emissions and immunity you should not use any wood in the table. It will
significantly (+/-2 dB up to 1 GHz for emissions , more above, +/-10 dB for
immunity up to 1 GHz) change the test result. My experience has shown that
Styrofoam is basicly the best material. There are a couple of published
papers on this issue. As surface material the following worked out fine:

  - Foamed PVC (rather stiff, low dielectric constant due to the foamed
nature), maybe 4 mm thick.

  - PE sheet, maybe 2 mm thick.

David Pommerenke