From:  Douglas Beckwith@MITEL on 10/31/2001 12:00 PM
I agree with everthing that has been said so far. The trouble comes with what
the agency "deems" to be critical. My experience with approvals agencies has
been that their definition of "Safety Critical" is somewhat unscientific. I have
often found that they tend to arbitrarily define a component as safety critical
because they don't understand the function of circuit and what the component
does in the application.  The application of the compnent is best understood by
the designer, not the approvals agency. I have spent many hours arguing with a
well known Canadian safety agency on this question.

 I spent a number of years in the defence industry doing fault tree analysis and
failure modes, effects and criticality analysis of components and circuits, and
this to me seems like a more scientific way to approach the definition of what
components ae safety critical. I tend to follow this process in definining the
critical components, by looking at their failure modes and contribution to the
overall flammability of the circuit,  and I do not allow the safety approval
agency to define them, primarily for the reason above. In fairness to the
agencies, most of the time I come up with the same list as they come up with,
but at least I have a technical reason behind the decision. I also only specify
the critical parameters in the safety report, e.g. rating only, not manufacturer
where it is not critical.

Doug Beckwith

geor...@lexmark.com on 10/31/2001 08:40:17 AM

Please respond to geor...@lexmark.com