Gregg brings up a good point.
I haven't followed all of this thread and I hope I'm not repeating someone else;
but, just in case:

Some of the things necessary to comply with the standards have less to do with
safety than they do with compliance to the standard.
Or in some cases the safety implications are less obvious.
At a previous place of employment, in these cases we called them Compliance
Critical Components.  Unfortunately this was often easier to get through the
management gauntlet that a Safety Critical Component.  If management could not
see the safety implications (or didn't buy into the rationale) they would not
buy into the term "Safety Critical".  When we told them that third party
approval would not be obtained unless this requirement was met, they basically
had to acquiesce and accept it.  It was from this understanding that we coined
the term "Compliance Critical Component"
It was a cop-out but it got the job done.  You just have to be careful and not
overuse the term.

Oscar

Please note that this case in not representative of my current
employer/management.
These opinions are mine and are in no way to be construed to represent those of
my employer.

"Gregg Kervill" <gkervill%eu-link....@interlock.lexmark.com> on 10/30/2001
11:25:48 PM

Please respond to "Gregg Kervill" <gkervill%eu-link....@interlock.lexmark.com>