Not a dumb question at all, the FDA sets performance for medical equipment
and that includes EMC performance.  My understanding at the present time is
that requirements are a smorgasbord of commercial (CE/RE) and platform style
(CI/RI) requirements.  By platform I mean tests derived for equipments which
mount on metal vehicles with ground planes.  For instance I believe one CI
requirement is akin to MIL-STD-461E CS114, swept frequency bulk cable
injection.